Thursday, September 11, 2008

R.E.M. S.L.E.E.P. Find Out What It Means to Me

Sing along!

R.E.M. S.L.E.E.P. Find Out What It Means to Me.
R.E.M. S.L.E.E.P. Need some soon you see.

Oh, a little sleep.
Yah Baby, I wanna little sleep.
Now I get tired, but I keep tryin'.
Runnin' out of energy, and I ain't lyin'.
Yes, sleep. All I need is R.E.M. sleep.


Okay, a bad mockery of R.E.S.P.E.C.T. by Arethra Franklin. But that song hit me at around 3 am last night. And I dedicate it to my little monster - Lochlan.

Now, I theorize that a lack of sleep is taking a toll on me. Do you know HOW important REM is?

1. Memories are consolidated during REM. No REM = uh...you know...when you can't remember squat. What's the word? Uhm...yah, forgetful. Makes you forgetful.

2. REM sleep is necessary for proper central nervous system development. Deprivation can result in behavioral problems, permanent sleep disruption and decreased brain mass. So you wonder why I am a little cranky?

3. REM sleep loss leads to several behavioral and physiological abnormalities. By the way, have you met my sister Flo? (You know, the blue fish from Finding Nemo that thinks she has a twin sister but it really is her reflection. Honestly, it takes the fun out of it if I have to explain EVERY joke.)

Anyways, so if I am moody or cranky, I just need some sleep. We're running on 8 months of interrupted REM. Not good for my singing.

1 comment:

JenOms said...

I hear ya! As you know, until this past April, i had interrupted sleep every night...that was 22 months straight before Alexis started sleeping in her crib all night. I still don't sleep though the night now, but at least i'm not waking up to bring her into our bed anymore.